Find a Grave

Search 93.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname:

28 January 2010

Genealogy/Family History: Max Howry Tomey



My great grandmother was Mary Martha Ursula O’Bryan. I never met her as she lived and died long before I was even thought of. I have learned of her from climbing our family tree. Tracing back her lineage, I don’t see her Irish ancestry yet. Someday I hope to. When it is St. Patrick’s Day, I often think of her and wonder what stories she would have to share should I have the opportunity to sit by her knee and take them all in? Perhaps in the next life.

It is so very important for generations past and present to record their family histories. I wish I had been better at it when I was younger, when the memory was more clear and not so opaque. I wish I would have asked my parents and other relatives to share more stories and I wish I had written them down. Now, that they are all gone, I can only wish and wonder.

For today, think about starting a journal if you don’t already. Fill it with memories, recipes, traditions and thoughts. Talk about births, weddings and deaths. Be sure and include dates and add pictures if you have them. You may not see the interest now by your children or other family members, but in the years to come, someone, somewhere, will open the book of memories and travel down the road you have created.

Have a great week ahead!

Something to think about...
Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
---Thomas S. Monson

1 comment: